HS2 , safety and assurance director
Emma joined High Speed Two Ltd (HS2 Ltd) in August 2015, as a member of the Executive Committee with accountability for Health and Safety. Emma was responsible for leading the vision and direction for safety and security, setting the standard and expectations for health, safety, and security management and behaviours across the HS2 organisation, the programme and our supply chain.
Assuming the role of Safety and Assurance Director in May 2018, Emma is accountable for:
- Strategy and approach to Safety, Health, Security, Environmental Management,
- Acts as the Senior Information Risk Owner (SIRO) with accountability for cyber and information security and compliance with GDPR.
- Providing the quality management framework and business processes that form the company integrated management system, providing a clear control environment for all company operations.
- Establishing and overseeing the assurance function, including programme assurance, monitoring compliance with and effectiveness of the control environment, commercial assurance, and managing relationships with government internal audit and other key external stakeholders.
- Working as part of the Executive Committee, taking collective accountability for the effective operation of the company, for holding the Executive to account, and providing assurance to the HS2 Ltd Board that we have confidence in our control environment
Emma has worked in the UK railway industry since 1999 and was previously Director of Safety Strategy at Network Rail, where she delivered a step change in workforce and passenger safety performance, as well as being accountable for assuring the delivery of asset improvement programmes. Emma has a wealth of experience from client and contractor perspectives, and has contributed to major railway engineering schemes, including West Coast route modernisation and London’s Crossrail project.
Before moving client side, Emma held various roles in large Tier 1 and 2 Contractors, working across the construction and rail sectors, and has led safety, quality, environmental and assurance functions delivering technical, system safety and business assurance.